Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Roommates

Today I was just thinking about the fact that I live with 3 other guys, and all of us are from a different country. My roommates are from Canada, South Korea, and North Korea, and all of them are pretty cool.

My roommate from Canada is named Marvin, and he is an English teacher like me, so we see each other every day. But he's pretty busy, so we don't actually see each other outside of work. He's a nice guy, and has helped me get adjusted.

Yoon-Seo Park is my roommate from South Korea, who works for the Korean Anabaptist Center, which is tied to Connexus, and the KAC people work in the same office as the Connexus teachers. He's hilarious, and also pretty crazy, so we've got some things in common. He refers to himself as my host father, and often times at lunch he tells me "eat well because there won't be food at home." Because of this so called parent-child relationship to him, he calls me Park Je Shi (or Jesse Park, but in Korea the name Jesse is pronounced "Je Shi").

Songuk is the one from North Korea, and he's a really nice guy, but doesn't talk very much. I also don't see him much, partly because I've been pretty busy with teaching, but he's kind of a mystery. My roommates and I have this running joke that he's a spy for North Korea, but I'm pretty sure that's far from the truth. In fact, he left North Korea a long time ago, and has lived in China and South Korea ever since.

Well that's a little info on my roommates.

No comments:

Post a Comment