Friday, August 28, 2009

KAC, Connexus, and Teaching

So I thought I'd write some general info about what I've been doing, and the organization that I work for:

As you know already I am an English teacher, and I work for a company called Connexus. Connexus began in 2005, and is a language institute that encourages learning English through discussion rather than drills on writing and grammar. Because of this my greatest assets have been that I speak English and that I can facilitate dialogue with people (Basically, my ability to talk a lot has been immensely helpful). One student the other day said that he really enjoyed the discussion aspect of Connexus, because many English schools here stress writing and grammar, and do not emphasize discussion as much.

The Korean Anabaptist Center (KAC) is a Mennonite organization that started in 2001, and Connexus was established by the KAC. Both organizations are located in the same office, but KAC works more with religious activities, and Connexus is the English teaching organization.

The founders of KAC and Connexus are Kyong-Jung Lee, and Jai Young Lee. They both run KAC and Connexus, but Kyong-Jung manly handles KAC, and Jai works more with Connexus (Surprisingly enough i played soccer at Goshen College with Kyong-Jung's nephew SaeChan).

I only work 4 days a week, but I spent a lot of time at Connexus during those 4 days. Usually on a typical day I arrive at Connexus at 10:00 a.m. and leave around 10:00 p.m., which sounds like a lot, but not all of those 12 hours are spent working. Every day I teach three classes that are 1 1/2 hours each, and one class that is 50 minutes. The rest of the time I'm at Connexus I spent preparing for class, eating, and browsing the web. Some days I'm busy most of the day, but I also have days where I'm not as busy, and spend some time relaxing and watching youtube videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment